Friday, May 2, 2008

Software Update sneak boosts Safari share

Er, so remember that whole thing back in March with Safari and Software Update on Windows? I know, I thought I’d seen the last of it too, but it turns out that there’s actually been some interesting fall out from it. According to the Net Applications, which tracks information like market share via Internet browser traffic, Safari’s share on Windows tripled after the update fiasco.

Safari 3.0 had been holding a pretty steady 0.06-0.07% share in the previous months, but after the Software Update incident, the share of Safari 3.1 (the version installed by the updater) jumped to 0.21%. Now, my understanding is that in order for that information to register, one would presume that those Windows users need to be actually be using Safari on a regular basis. What that makes me wonder how many of those people actually tried Safari intentionally and how many of them are just wondering why Internet Explorer looks so different all of the sudden?

I’m still not condoning what Apple did—even with their most recent changes, I think it’s an icky precedent to set. But apparently not all Windows users see things the same way.

No comments: